- About Us
- Patients & Caregivers
- Health Professionals
- How You Can Help
- News & Events
Become a Volunteer
Hospice volunteers are ordinary people, of all ages and from all walks of life, with an extraordinary love and a passionate concern for others. They contribute to the overall well being of our community one person, one family at a time. Volunteers help Family Hospice and those we serve in many ways - and are limited only by their imagination.
There are many volunteer opportunities available! To begin the process, call Nick Petti in the Volunteer Department, at 412-572-8806 or firstname.lastname@example.org. We will match you with an opportunity that best fits your talents and interests.
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Patient/family companionship, including patients at our Inpatient Hospice Centers in Mt. Lebanon and Lawrenceville; in patients' homes, or senior communities
- Assisting in development planning efforts, including fundraising events (such as the Golf Benefit, Memorial Cruise, Guest Speaker Events, etc.)
- Bereavement support
- Office administrative support
- Staffing our lunch cafe
- Pittsburgh Threshold Choir (see below)
- All patient volunteers receive training and orientation. Training programs are offered at various locations and times, i.e., evenings or weekends, to accommodate the busy schedules of our diverse volunteer population. Training locations include our Inpatient Hospice Centers in Mt. Lebanon and Lawrenceville and venues throughout the community.
- Volunteer training is free.
- Family Hospice appreciates all volunteer efforts and recognizes their contributions to our patients and families at an annual luncheon and award ceremony.
Family Hospice and Palliative Care does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, disability, gender, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, marital or Veteran status in any respect, including but not limited to, employment, the admission of patients and/or the treatment available to patients. The reaffirmation of this commitment is made in conformance with Federal, State and local laws and regulations.
Pittsburgh Threshold Choir
Become a Friend of Family Hospice
Friends of Family Hospice is an auxiliary organization comprised of volunteers who support the services of Family Hospice and Palliative Care through various activities and fundraising initiatives. The mission of Friends is to support the goals of Family Hospice and Palliative Care by raising funds, promoting public awareness, and enhancing the spirit of welcome, warmth and compassion to patients and their families.
- Become a Friends member - annual dues are only $25.
- To join, or learn more, call 412-572-8806.
There are many ways you as a "Friend" help Family Hospice:
- Participate in current fundraising events or develop and implement new ideas for fundraising activities
- Work with Family Hospice staff to raise community awareness.
- Work at Family Hospice's Inpatient Centers in Mt. Lebanon in the cafe area.
- Act as host/hostesses in our Inpatient Hospice Centers.
- Invite friends to an informal Family Hospice and Palliative Care presentation in our homes.
- Help arrange speaking opportunities for a Family Hospice and Palliative Care representative.
Membership in Friends does not require participation in the volunteer training program and does not qualify members to be patient or bereavement volunteers. To become a patient or bereavement volunteer, please refer to the above information. Friends meet six times per year, usually at the Inpatient Hospice Center on Moffett Street in Mt. Lebanon.